Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sign of the Times

I have written a number of times regarding the bullying hysteria infecting our nation.  Now in a perfect world people should treat one other in a respectful, decent manner.  This is not a perfect world nor will it ever be.  Suicide is the end result of a mental illness not bullying.
When I was a young whippersnapper coming up I was frequently the target of what we today call bullies.  I just called them assholes.  I a white boy attended a predominately hispanic school.  I was cursed, spit on, hit, kicked, excluded from playing all the reindeer games, yet I did not kill myself.  In high school I was assaulted and chased by knife welding classmates.  I have had rocks thrown at me and cursed at because of my race.  I still did not kill myself.
Think people we are not delicate wilting flowers.  We and our children are resilient.
For me the straw that broke the camels back is this victim from the Miami Dolphins Football team.  Damn!  He is suppose to be a man.  College educated, football player all his life, big strong man, yet still a whining  crybaby.  He is not right in the head.  A week before he broke down his tormentor, Incognito, was his best friend.  Now I hear on the radio one of our city council members, El Paso, Texas claims to be a victim of bullying at the hand of another council member.  This victim is a city leader.  I had hoped for a little tougher leadership.

A. C. Smithson

No comments:

Post a Comment